Skip to Main Content

Transfer: FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about transferring.  Can't find  your question? Contact the Advising Center.

When applying to a new school it’s important to check their admission website to see if they have rolling admission (accept students throughout the year) or if they have specific deadlines. Some schools have rolling admissions but certain programs at that school may have their own deadlines. If no deadlines are given, then complete an application 1 to 2 semesters before you actually plan to start at your new school.
The transfer process involves:


  • The Application - The first step to any transfer is to complete an application for the college or university you want to attend. Most schools will give you the choice of a paper or electronic application. Complete all parts of the application and always have someone proofread your essay if one is required. Applications fees vary but typically range between $25 to $50. If you plan to apply on-line you will most likely need to have access to an ATM or credit card.
  • Transcripts - Have official copies from all schools that you have attended sent to your new school. This includes all colleges attended and your high school transcript or GED certificate (Diploma Sender). Transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing school to your new school.
  • Financial Aid - Apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA as soon as you can after January 1st. Many 4-year schools have early deadlines for financial aid consideration. If your FAFSA is already done, check to make sure you have listed all the schools to which you plan to apply.
  • Letters of Recommendation - If your new school requires letters of recommendation as part of their application process, it’s a good idea to ask at least one extra person for a recommendation. People will have good intentions but sometimes they get distracted and you don’t want your application to be held up by a missing reference. Always give people a clear deadline of when you need their letter.
  • Immunizations - Check with your intended school to see if you will need to provide your immunization records before you are accepted. Generally, you must provide them before you can register for or attend classes. It’s best to have them ready to send as soon as possible.
To have your grades sent to another institution you must request that an official KVCC transcript be sent to that school. Transcripts can be requested by contacting the Academic Affairs Office at 453-5822. There is a fee for this service.
If you are transferring to a school in the University of Maine System, the easiest way to see if a course will transfer is to check the UMS Transfer Equivalency Guide. Credits are always accepted at the discretion of the receiving school. Talking with a transfer counselor from a 4-year school at one of KVCC’s transfer events is a great way to find out what classes will be accepted. Students have the opportunity to make individual appointments with representatives from various Maine schools to have their KVCC transcript evaluated several times during the academic year. Laurie Ficker, Director of Advising, can help you create a plan to maximize the number of credits that will transfer, and connect you with transfer officials at the school you plan to attend. You can reach her at 453-5118 or via e-mail at
In most cases the answer to this question is YES. However, the only way to know for sure is to apply for aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to list all the schools you are applying to on your FAFSA. IMPORTANT! – Many 4-year schools have early deadlines for financial aid consideration…ask about these and get your FAFSA done before the deadline or you could miss out on grants and scholarships.
If you transfer from a Maine community college before earning an associate degree or certificate, the credits you earn at your next school may make it possible for you to complete your community college credential.

Fill out the MCCS and UMS reverse transfer participation and transcript request form to see if you qualify. Learn more about the MCCS and UMS reverse credit transfer partnership and get answers to frequently asked questions.